Cincinnati Ohio History
The Cincinnati Public School District dates back to a district called the Common Schools of Cincinnati. Cincinnati accompanied its growth by paying men to act as its Cincinnati Fire Department in 1853, making it the first fully paid fire department in the United States.
Hotels, restaurants and taverns opened to meet the needs of settlers traveling westward across the Ohio River. Soon the city had a tavern and ferry service to take people from Kentucky across the Ohio River to Kentucky.
The Miami and Erie Canals made the Ohio River an important shipping route for goods from western Ohio to Cincinnati. This has reduced transportation costs by transporting grain and goods between West Ohio and Cincinnati, as well as goods to other parts of the United States.
This has opened up the city of Cincinnati as a fast-growing commercial and transportation hub for the United States. The city had a thriving trade with cities further downstream in the South, which used the Ohio River and the Erie Canal to transport goods to New York and the East Coast of America.
The second settlement was first called Losantiville and renamed Cincinnati on January 4, 1790, and the third, North Bend, was founded a bit further east in Ohio. Both settlements were built in the early 1780s on the banks of the Cincinnati River, near the present location of Cincinnati. The first of these settlements was called "Losant civille," the second "North Bend," and both were renamed "Cincinnati."
The Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati were founded in Emmitsburg, Maryland, where Elizabeth Seton established a foundation in July 1809. The congregation moved into its mother house in the 1880s, when property in Delhi Township was purchased for the area west of Cincinnati. In the 1960s, the Presbytery of Cinnati operated the Wildwood Camp and Conference Center on the property, but Cincinnati changed and they could no longer afford to maintain it.
This request led the four Sisters of Charity to come to Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1887 to open St. Peter's School, an orphanage for girls.
The flatboats delivered the pioneers to Columbia, Logan and North Bend, which later became Cincinnati. The settlement was first called "Losant civille," but in 1790 it was renamed "Cincinnati." In 1801, the name of the settlement changed to Cincinnati because the president of the Cincinnati Society was the son-in-law of George Cincinnati, one of its founders, and his wife Catherine.
The growing number of Catholics in the Cincinnati area and the need for a new diocese led to the creation of the Diocese of Cincinnati. In the mid-19th century, it was elevated to archdiocese status, but was confined to a southwestern corner of Ohio, and housed only a few hundred Catholics and a handful of priests.
With the end of the Revolutionary War, the country expanded westward to the border, and the original diocese of Cincinnati was vast in geographic size, including Ohio, Michigan, and parts of the Northwest Territories. Today it covers about 8,500 square miles, administratively divided into four dioceses: Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Toledo and Akron. Their mission was to protect the Northwest Territory, which included the states of Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and West Virginia.
The steel, iron, and meat-packing industries that made Cincinnati the "Queen City" in the 19th century were slowly shifting to cities in the north and west. Cincinnati also played an important role as a trading center for the United States and its allies in the first half of the 19th century. In the 1890s, Cincinnati became Ohio's largest city with more than 100,000 residents. By 1900, downtown Cincinnati had fallen into disrepair, and by the 1920s, the city's population had shrunk to less than 1,500, about half its original size.
Fourteen riverboats cruised through Cincinnati, reviving pride in Cincinnati's rich river history and demonstrating the importance of steamboats to the city. At the time, Cincinnati, and especially the generals in Ohio, were Revolutionary War soldiers who had been granted land in the state. Thousands of militiamen from Kentucky and Pennsylvania flocked to Cincinnati to take part in an expedition planned by Harmar St. Clair against American Indians.
Harriet Beecher Stowe, who lived in Cincinnati her entire life, was an abolitionist. She grew up in her adopted home of Cincinnati Ohio, which gained fame as one of the most famous abolitionists of all time.
The profligacy and regional quality of Cincinnati's culture stems largely from its accessible location along the Ohio River. Ohio is on the border of the state of Kentucky that allowed slavery, and for that reason Cincinnati was the ideal place to bring newspapers and anti-slavery treatises to the South, as it was in a slave-holding state. Since slavery was illegal in Ohio, it was also a popular destination for people who had escaped slavery. Cincinnati is also in an area with a high concentration of black residents, due to its proximity to a border state (Kentucky) that permitted slavery and the fact that Ohio was nearby.